Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Insights of work

Strange but true. After my jump from Patni, I observed a couple of interesting things:

a) I can get paid well, but I'll feel dirty if I feel I'm not doing justice to my salary. It is as if I'm robbing the company. But, over and above that, it is the feeling I'm able to contribute a lot more, why are you keeping me down ? People at Patni never understood that ...

b) I get more frustrated by lack of work than by its excess. I don't mind working 12 hours a day (like I'm doing now) but I'll get frustrated if I've to approach someone for everything I need to do or most websites are blocked in the name of corporate policy ... In a big company, competitors need not pull it down, a big corporate always tries to commit suicide. Competitors give the focus to rescue itself :)

c) The best feeling I get and what makes me feel that I'm in the right job is to lie down at night feeling exhausted but content ... that I haven't wasted my day.

d) The best job is meaningful. Towards the final days at Patni, the only thing that motivated me was the feeling that I'm generating employment to the software engineers, who'd otherwise not be employed. Otherwise, I couldn't get up in the morning.

e) I don't want to go into top management so early - what will I do there ? It is a frustrating and boring job. The real challenging and interesting work is at the ground level.

f) What makes a better career ? The motivation to get out of the inertia of comfort zone. That is what makes you get out of a vertical and move horizontally. I pity people who become project managers - they've no idea about what is actually being done, they've to put up with bullshit from below, they've to put up with stupid people above ... technical architecting is a better profile anyday.

Or am I mad ?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday 27 November 2007 at 6:27:00 PM IST, Blogger The Empress said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Tuesday 27 November 2007 at 6:28:00 PM IST, Anonymous Surbhi said...

Sridhar.. still missing patni? I hear there a few vacancies there..:P

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home