Thursday, April 05, 2007

Southies v/s Northies

My first sojourn to the North (north of South India, I mean), and I've already formed enough stereotypes to last a lifetime:

a) Southies love curds and buttermilk. Aravindan, Karthik and gang have a special order for curd at every meal. Northies don't have the same affinity, but if they are forced to eat, they add sugar to it. I've not yet seen a Southie who adds sugar to curds (they add pickles instead :), or one who prefers lassi to buttermilk+salt ... Bongs think curds is under-prepared food, and add enough sugar to make it payasam :(

b) Northies wear chappals in their room, and they'll have atleast ten pairs of footwear - one for canteen, one for toilet, one for bathing, one for class, one for going out, one for jogging, one for formal occasions. OTOH, Southies don't usually allow people to wear chappals inside Southies' rooms, and they don't unnecessarily enrich the chappal-makers.

c) Northies think Hindi is the only language of India and can't understand how a Tamilian like me be born and brought up in Karnataka, and can't speak Hindi. Southies think English is the common language of India, and can't believe the nerve of the Northies who keep speaking Hindi all the time.
I saw an interesting comment in a Pakistani online newspaper's "Letters to editor" section, where a guy simply can't believe that many South Indians don't know Hindi. Hehe, welcome to India dude !

d) Northies drink the dicoction that they optimistically call "coffee" and believe that is the best drink they've ever had. Since Southies can't take it at all (they are used to the filter coffee), they drink tea instead. So, ironically, a lot of Southies drink tea and a lot of Northies drink coffee.

e) Staple food for Northie (in hostel): Rice + dhal or Roti + sabji
Staple food for Southie (in hostel): anything + pickles or rice + curds/buttermilk + pickles (of course)
In general, Southies like "wet" liquid spicy food, Northies like dry sweet food.

f) Northies punctuate every sentence with the word "saale", either as prefix or postfix, making you wonder the real nature of relationship :P
Since no language has a monopoly among Southies, the Kannadigas use "lo", the Tamilians use "da". I don't know about about others ..

I'm sure other Southies have much to add, and Northies have much to counter-attack, so I suppose I'll stop here ...

Update: I'd forgotten the most important of all ... and that is:
g) Northies assume everybody has a surname. And that must be a family name. And not the father's name. They can't believe that my name is only Sridhar. Narasimhan is my father's name. Calling me by my apparent surname is not acceptable. Period.

The biggest problem is when calling call centres such as HutchCare. I don't know what they teach their euphemistic-termed customer care executives, but I get so pissed off when someone addresses me "Hello Mr. Narashimham", "Sorry to keep you waiting, Mr. Narashimham", "I'm sorry, Mr. Narashimham" ... despite telling them with gritted teeth that I'm "Mr. Sridhar" and not some "Mr. Narashimham". Yeah, I don't know why Northies add the extra 'h' in my father's name ... that happens even in project reports where the bakra who ends up adding finishing touches to a project report inadvertently but almost always mis-spells my name... Add to the fact that Northies replace 'r' with 'd' like Kharagpur is pronounced as Khadagpur, my name starts sounding really foreign to me ...

Poor dear me ....

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Thursday 5 April 2007 at 7:29:00 PM IST, Blogger Aravindan said...

gud one..

and yeah thanks for giving me publicity....

:P

 
At Thursday 5 April 2007 at 10:09:00 PM IST, Blogger P H Karthik said...

Good comparision. It was a good read!! And to all those who are reading, I am the Karthik whom Sirdhar has mentioned in the first line. I can do with a little self publicity!!

 
At Saturday 7 April 2007 at 10:11:00 PM IST, Blogger Vinit Bhansali said...

Heh ... good stuff ...
Funnily, I sometimes get mixed up, being bought up by "northie" parents in BLR!

So, to me ... not wearing chappals in the room is the norm, but also having multiple pairs of them!

Also, I always thought it was a southie thing to add the "h" and make it vinitH.

Also, I learnt about the saale thingy after meeting roommates in college!

 
At Monday 9 April 2007 at 1:04:00 AM IST, Blogger K7 said...

Finally good to see you again writing about people around you ..

One more comparision:

Northies go for any type of chick as long as she is a chick or looks like a chick ;) ... For southies it is much much different ... (There's a list of conditions infact for this !!)

 
At Saturday 14 April 2007 at 10:59:00 PM IST, Blogger Arvinder said...

Nice post...but u forgot the most imp of all comparisons.."names"-long vs short,simple vs complex etc

 
At Thursday 3 May 2007 at 11:34:00 PM IST, Blogger Vinit Bhansali said...

Hey arvinder ...

There is nothing complex about Srirangapatanam Kumaraswami Sankara Nagarjuna Swami.

It's plain and simple ... sure it's long ... but thats only a matter of changing it to SKSN swami!

Kidding, kidding, kidding!

 
At Wednesday 16 May 2007 at 3:06:00 AM IST, Anonymous srikanth4940@gmail.com said...

your blog about northie versus southies is very practical . it reminded me about my college days !!

 
At Friday 7 September 2007 at 1:00:00 PM IST, Anonymous Ashish said...

hi, good comparison...

Some more points...

Northies pronounce 'H' as 'aech'
while southies pronounce 'H' as 'hech'

Normally southies add 'h' after 't' and remove 'h' after 's'
eg. 'Shri' is written as 'Sri'
while 'Santosh' is written as 'Santhosh'

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home