Monday, December 18, 2006

The universe conspires ...

A quote attributed to RW Emerson says "“Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.” Maybe Emerson missed out a few more scenarios - alteast one that can be attributed to me over the past 28 hours can be "If you don't want to make a decision, the universe itself conspires to give you the best".

To be fair, I wanted GE IMLP ... badly. I ensured that none of the other companies interfered with this. As I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't want a choice, and by that I meant I want IMLP only and nothing else. And then the universe started conspiring ... and all sorts of accidents started happening.

In the meantime, TechMahindra was slotted along with GE. And I didn't evince any interest in it. I didn't even write down their profile/package anything when they presented their PPT. And when call for applications came, I told the placecom that I was NOT interested.

Now, the GE pre-process was at 7 pm, and something made me leave my hostel at 6:15 pm. Since it would be foolish to wear blazer, tie, trousers and all and then ride on a dusted, creaky 2nd-hand bicycle, I started walking towards the department. Then Vineet offered me a drop to SOM.

In the department, people were searching frantically for me. Apparently there was some screwup by the placecom, and it turned out that I was to take the TechM interview. I didn't want to "bunk" it or under-perform, so I just walked in and took it as it went. At the end of the interview, I knew, even though it was a pre-process only, horror of horrors, I had cracked it, and even worse, I wanted it.

Then GE pre-process happened, with a group activity. I'm not sure how they evaluated a person in a team, but I was doubtful. Overnight, I prayed that my choice on the next day be easy, and it turned out to be just that.

In the morning, the shortlists were out, and as I had feared, I was not in GE shortlist, but shortlisted for TechM. I thought I worked well in team, but (trying not to sound like sour grapes) it appears GE were looking at alpha-male pretenders. I guess it is their loss. But if this is their work culture, then maybe I'm better off not being there. By this time, I was getting more and more impressed by TechM. I attended the TechM interview in a daze, cracked a mostly technical interview, and when they made an offer, I just accepted it.

I didn't bother to negotiate, even though the salary that they are offering is considerably less than what I was getting when I quit Netscaler - I think negotiating for the salary is a cheap thing and so far (including my previous job), I've never demanded a pay hike. If I don't like something and they don't recognize it, I'll just move out. Netscaler gave me a fantastic job but a lousy career - so I quit. TechM is giving me a good career and a good pay, so I took it. And now, I'm so impressed by this that I'm not appearing for any other company in the process.

If the universe itself conspires to place me somewhere, I can't crib. I just give in.

Update (7th Jan 2007)
I'm getting lots of hits on google search for IMLP salary. If you want to join GE IMLP because of salary, then I'm not going to help you out. OTOH, it won't matter how much IMLP offers someone else, it is just that are you happy with the offer you have ?

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday 19 December 2006 at 2:41:00 PM IST, Blogger Anomalizer said...

I love your disillusionment with MBA, HR et al (this is wrt to the last 3-4 posts of yours). Welcome back to the employment!

 
At Wednesday 20 December 2006 at 3:21:00 PM IST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, I guess !
-Shruthi

 
At Friday 22 December 2006 at 7:13:00 PM IST, Blogger Sridhar Narasimhan said...

Thanks guys ! Looking forward to a new adventure ...

@anomalizer: I especially like needling HR :) I have sat through some 40 PPTs of companies, and only 3-4 HRs were clueful, rest were total dumbos.
Regarding MBA, if you understand what it is about, then you'll benefit the max from it. Otherwise you are looking for the wrong thing.

 
At Friday 1 August 2008 at 10:24:00 PM IST, Blogger #r!$#!k@ said...

I saw your blog entry on badly wanting IMLP @ GE. I'm now a graduating IMLP, and I guess I agree with you that perceptions here count very high. May be in some cases that translates to "Alpha Male Pretenders". But that's the culture here.2 years later, I hope you are happy - there's loads of people who can't fit in, so I only think what happened, happened for the best.

Cheers!

 
At Saturday 20 February 2010 at 8:53:00 PM IST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home