Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The news channels

I've always been a news buff, and the short vacation at home in Bangalore gave me an opportunity to keep myself abreast of the developments. BBC has become a pay-channel and hence it has disappeared. That's a tragedy, really, I really loved BBC. CNN is as boring as ever. Two new channels are on air - News Now from Times and CNN-IBN.

My erstwhile favourite, NDTV 24x7 has become quite boring. While it has come a long way from the "News Tonight" on DD Metro some 10 years ago, the quality has come down significantly. The same stories get aired every hour throughout the day, as though in an endless loop due to bad code. Compared to what they are airing, CNN-IBN has far better content - probably due to the CNN connection. I really can't believe that in a country the size of India and with variety and diversity unmatched in most of the world, the TV networks still have to peddle stale content. NDTV would rate as sell in my opinion.

I think it is important to think of news channels as agents of content delivery, instead of agents of content creation. For instance, CNN-IBN uses content from CNN, and content contributed by "Citizen Journalists" - a really good idea. I hope that they've resolved all the copyright issues. I hope NDTV too gets into something similar soon - the content is really that pathetic.

Good news with the situation is that it can't get any worse. So, things would be better the next time ...

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At Sunday 12 November 2006 at 5:30:00 PM IST, Blogger K7 said...

I miss a few serials now a days ....

1. Different Strokes
2. Bournvita Quiz Contest
3. The World this Week

and many many more ..... as for now the only time i watch TV is to watch premier league football matches and the "Great Indian Laughter Challenge"

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home