Monday, September 11, 2006

Knowing when to quit

As I covered in my previous post about retirement, I also wanted to talk about the timing of retirement. Someone said (it's been variably attributed to Gavaskar and Vijay Merchant - so I'll settle for "someone"), the best time to retire is when people ask "why ?" and not "why not ?".

It is very difficult to go out when you are on top. Sometimes, it is nice when you don't have a choice. But, when you do, you want to wait for that "one more" win, "one more" title, "one more championship". And, you get stuck there, till you are forced out.

In this sense, success breeds failure. During my years of work, I watched year after year, CAT after CAT (XAT after XAT, JMET after JMET, whatever) pass me by, and me not able to qualify because of "hectic work". Motivation was wavering, "another exam ?" syndrome rising, and it was appearing like it is time to look at my career and not just my job. And, in my mind, I had decided, if not this time, then never. Imagine my shock to get some 84 percentile in CAT ! Fortunately, I got in to SJMSOM !

As I've mentioned previously, it was very difficult for me to quit Netscaler, even after being selected to SJMSOM. It had almost everything I wanted - a wonderful work environment, amazing team and team-mates, autonomy, creativity, and a lot more things that I seem to forget now. It made my decision to quit all the more difficult. I was stuck with the question "Should I or should I not ?" for a long time. And I decided to bite the bullet - one of the most difficult decisions I had ever made.

One of the most important things that sports teaches is being on top is a temporary phenomenon. If you are on top today, nothing gaurantees that state tomorrow. Just look at Schumacher's performance in 2005 - a single win in Indianapolis Grand Prix against 5 other cars ! That was one of the more important reasons why I quit.

So, I can understand why some people, like a former Indian captain with initials SG refuse to quit. Why someone like Vinod Kambli, whose last claim to cricketing fame was consecutive double centuries against England, and whose last cricketing image is that of a cry-baby after losing the 1996 World Cup semi-finals at Eden Gardens, still believes he can make a come back.

We all want to live in our reflected past glory, don't we ?

2 Comments:

At Sunday 24 September 2006 at 3:41:00 PM IST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you really thing leaving in old glory is a bad thing??, i dont, People who are very little successful never tend to live in past glory, they would hardly have achieved anything, so there isnt any time for them to think about past. Now lets move onto to people who are vastly successfull, by vastly i mean over a long period of time, during the time of their success they will not be thinking about success rather they will be worrying about future, When they really reach the dead end, that is the time when they tend to live in past glory, Its kind of good on them so that they can atleast enjoy thier success now and kind of forget thier inability to re-achieve what they have done long time ago.
Well i would really be happy, if you can guess who wrote this comment though

 
At Tuesday 10 October 2006 at 6:30:00 PM IST, Blogger Sridhar Narasimhan said...

Past glory is not wrong per se, but living in the past is pretty much useless. Often I've found that I've learnt more from hardships than from my achievements ... To be quite frank, nothing spoils my future more than living in the past ..

btw, I really have no clue about your identity :( Care to reveal ?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home